Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Closure to ACL chapter

For a few years, the ACL tears was a big part of my life. If it wasn't the rehab battle it was the battle of the mind. I can't even begin to explain how good it felt to drop off the last of my knee bills recently in the training room and walk out of there feeling like I had washed my hands clean of it. I remember the night I tore my ACL the first time, my brother Harold gave me a blessing that said I would experience full recovery. I believed it that with no doubt till I tore it again. Even then I was confidant I would overcome. But when I had the struggle to actually being back 100% on the court, something was missing. It was frustration. Perhaps it would have taken time. However, I knew it was time for me to move on. It wasn't till recently (1 year later) that I was turning in the remnants of my 3rd knee surgery bill that I walked out of the training room reminded of Harold's prayer that he gave on my behalf 3 years earlier. It was so clear... I had at last healed to complete recovery. Do I still experience aches and pains? Of course. But I'm active with workouts and even play on a co-ed bball team with Drew and Harold. If things were to happen on my own time table I would have been good to go within the year of the first tear. However, there was a more intricate plan that I had to trust. And looking back, I wouldn't do a thing different. I couldn't be more happy with where I'm at and who I'm with. My husband Andrew is so wonderful. I can't even begin to describe how much I love and adore him. By far, he's the best thing that has ever happened. Perhaps the 'knee thing' had to happen for me to slow down and allow other things to come into my life.


The following is an article Stacy wrote in the Daily Universe about this 'blast from the past." I love how it included my husband. He was the light at the end of the tunnel.



To read the full story, click here.



6 comments:

Rachel Ricchio said...

you know, i have heard your story many times and have always been amazed with your determination and passion for the sport, but i just truly realized that you, even through so many hardships, are amazing. such an example of trying to be optimistic through adversity. im convinced that your attitude during your trials, led you to where you are now, happily married to a dream.

LP & TP said...

I AM amazed as weLL! I had 2 ACL's and one other surgery with my dumb meniscus.. but I don't know if I could have done 3!! Seriously, your amazing & Trent and I LOVE your positive attitude and will never forget how sweet you are!!! Hopefully we are safe from KNEE surgeries forever ( knock on wood ) !! You be careful playing..your Co-ed BasketbaLL! (: (: xoxo

Brad and Lisa said...

Hey kiddo! It is Ashley & Amanda's mom. I read your blog frequently and just love it! We are in Baton Rouge now. Ashley came back from BYU-I and is staying with us until she graduates. It drives her crazy that she is living with us, but I personally don't see the need to live anywhere and just waste the money, when we are right here. You can scroll through some of my old blogs to get the updates on the family. Glad to see that you are doing so well. How are your folks?

Suzie and Chadd said...

Wierd, but when Chadd and I had found out about the seriousness of your injury Chadd said.."I bet she meets her husband soon and gets married" All things happen for a reason. Anyways....was just snooping and came across your blog! I like =) come visit us at

www.chaddandsuzie.blogspot.com

I'm still new at it..but it's getting me motivated to take more pictures!

Lauren RILEY Varley said...

This brought tears to my eyes Marth...It took me back to the first tear, how devistated Mal and I were for you when it happened. It broke up the best recruiting class BYU's ever seen! Then to watch you work so hard on the sideline every day at practice for the entire year only do the entire process over again the next. You were such an incredible example to me and everyone on the team, I hope you know that!!!

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

Can I just say, after reading that, I am so proud of you. I love how you look at it from such a positive perspective- you are such a good example for others that read this. I am so glad you and Andrew are married- you two seem perfect for each other in every way and he just seems SO wonderful, as are you. I love you!