Saturday, November 15, 2008

Intramurals pish posh

I don't even know where to being with this one. It's more of a venting post. BYU intramurals are i-n-s-a-n-e! Some think they are awesome and others really struggle with them... like myself. So Drew lives for them and really does quite well with his various teams.

Harold, Andrew, and I are on a co-ed basketball team. We're not bad. I'm out a shape and am pretty frail out there. All the girls a I play against are out to get me like I'm a beast. Maybe I am but still. Every game we've played is intense. We've had players thrown out and many T's. I don't mind admitting to mine most recent one where I called a girl a painsey for flopping on some screen. I said it under my breath even. The refs are seriously on a major power trip.

So we just had another game. We had a 14 point lead and one of our girl gets a another foul and a T for asking about it. So we had to play a player down. Andrew played solid bringing up the ball. They were doubleing Drew. They came back and tied it. But Harold clutched it with a few amazing wrap arounds when he was trippled teamed.

I'm not doing the intramural scene justice in painting the picture. After the game the husband of the girls that go thrown out was staring down the reff so the reff comes over and is wanting to start trash. Before long it was a post game brawl. I was just relieved that it wasn't Drew and I for a change stirring things up. Is this really happeneing to me? We are in the playoffs of the top division tournament. So every game is really intense in an intramural way.

Our next game is on Tuesday. We're playing a team where their best girl actually walked on the BYU team a couple years back. She's not bad. She worked hard and is a good 'pick up game' player. Her brother is on the team and he is huge hot head. It could be another brawl. Oh the world of intramurals. I need to take time to collect myslef and reevalutate my head so I don't play out of the zone--like when you loose your head. Meanwhile, Harold is acting all proud cause he has a clean record with no T's but yet he is the biggest talker of them all. He just gets away with it cause eh doesn't say a word to the ref's and "is smart about it" as he would say

Again, I'm venting so I might come back later and deleate this post. After the game, we're leaving and walking out of the RB. And it just so happens that one of the coaches in the athletic department walks by. Crazy long story short but he just took away one of my good friends scholoarship. So here I am after a heated game and I pull the loyalty card of making it clear to him that he wasn't professional how he handled things blah blah blah. I thought I was communicating quite well. But looking back it was not of my business. After all he is a coach doing his job and is respected in the athletic program and I was a sucka. Ahhh! Get it together team. We have the best talent on the court no doubt but our heads are out of it.


6 comments:

Steve and Dayna Magleby said...

Oh man- the world of intrameurals- sounds crazy intense. Really. Way to go for doing so well, I just wish it wasn't such a wild ride to get there. It would actually be quite interesting to see one of these intense games. When's the next one?

Brad and Lisa said...

I'm glad to see that someone as sweet as you gets upset about something. I was beginning to feel really bad, cause I get mad at stupidity, and I was starting to think, "Gosh, MaryMartha is so even-tempered, I should work on that!" Hey, you want a good laugh? Go to my blog and read a true story that happened to Amanda, Milton, & myself. Being from Louisiana, you can appreciate it!

Summer & Sean said...

Oh I know all too well what you mean. How did your game go last week?! Win, lose? I freaking intramurals...but love it at the same time. It's a sick relationship.

Krista said...

Good luck guys! I really wish I could be there to see it- sounds intense. But I'm sure nothing could beat the Sun Valley tennis tournament :)

Rachel Ricchio said...

i love it. way to play hard. love you.

bands said...

Cannot agree with you more about intramurals. One of the main reasons those referees ref is because they struggle with the actual playing aspect of the game. When they get started, it's like trying to coax a screaming baby. They pretty much want a fight to the death. I'm getting all angry just remembering my experiences with intramurals. Good luck with your remaining games...