Saturday, January 3, 2009

Goal #1: Learn to give myself in service

Humanitarianism is an amazing thing. It nourishes, reassures, and heals us all. Mother Theresa and Princess Diana showed us just that. With over 10 years of their passing, their memory and example still seem so near. These women inspire me.

Although I won’t be able to do as much good as they have, I can still work towards mirroring their same compassion, empathy, and generosity. I can be more willing to give of my time and energy to reach out and help others. I can smile more often, hug and touch more often, give more time to physically being there with those in needs. I want to work towards adopting some of their beliefs, values, and actions while expanding my comfort zone.

These thoughts might seem kind of random but they’re not at all. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking since I’ve returned from Africa in Feb. It changed me forever. Rather than feeling the warm fuzzies from what I personally did there, I’ve often felt heavy for what I didn’t do and what I passed up. After all, I wasn’t there on a humanitarian project, but there were plenty people I talked to and friendships made where I could have been more open and followed up. In my defense, I was absolutely shocked and taken back by the poverty and deficiencies there. I had my reservations as a result. Which is why these women inspire me to open up and allow myself to give a part of me to others.

I know I can never be a Princess Diana or a Mother Teresa. After all, I’m just Mary Martha. But “I can do my own best work in my own best way.” All of us can do that at least. By doing so, I’ll honor their lives and the world will be much better for it. I’m sure that is what they both would want anyways.


1 comment:

Rachel Ricchio said...

i've always love princess di. gorg.