Saturday, January 10, 2009

Still living the moment

"You change your LIFE by changing your HEART."

My heart sank when I heard tha my sister-in-law is going to Tanzania this summer. She will have her own experience surely. However, when she said she was going to a Massi village, I had such a tender feeling for her.
The Massi are nomadic pretty much. Their "wealth" is determind in how many cows they have--its goes along with a religious mindset as well. So in the view of OUR eyes, they are all very very very poor. They even brush their teeth with the roots of weeds. It is an admirable culture. The school children had no reservation with warming up to me and dad. Sadly enough, I was the one who had trouble letting myself go.

This is in the school room. They were showing us how they knew the alphabet.
I'm no sure if you're able to noitce the 20+ flies on this boys face. Sadly enough, they don't even try ot brush them away. Their houses are made out of dung and their houses are located around the cow's area, the flies swarm and settle on the people.

They make beautiful beadwork and jewlery.
Flamingoes galore. From afar I just saw one big pink patch the extended hundreds of yards. I didn't even recognize.
These zebra were intensly fighting--biting even and jumping on each other's back.
The Africa look that I love. This was on the serengetti. We were in a much thicker bush elsewhere. But gotta love the Serengetti's open feel witht he occasional African tree.
Roar!!!
The lioness was always so serious. The cubs loved to play arroung. Sometimes the lioness would break it up and nuzzle one away and then lay between them. A lion pride is very humanlike. Another Africa moment. I had trouble sleeping at the start of the trip becuae all the animal noises and roar's made me uneasy. By the end of the trip it was no big deal. One time dad and I both kind of sat up and were like, "did you hear that?" We were always trying to guage how far away the animal was.
Look how cute his spout is. As dirty as they are, their spout is so graceful and flows with such ease. It's amazing what they do with their spout really. Notice the one resting his spout on the other.
Crocs! This one is sunning. However, most often we would see them in the water with their head sticking out at the shore line with their mouths wide open ready to pounce on whatever come down for water. There are very few water holes this time of year. Animals are very vulnerable when they go get water. Even for other animals, they aren't aware of their surroundings and ready to defend. They all knew it too and would tip toe and really watch closely when they went for water.

Do you see the monkey up in the tree? It was such a cute sight? Monkeys live, move, and function in large crowds. Our guide said that it was odd for this one to be alone. He was probably getting a good view to find his groupie.
As new born as they come. Our guide said he couldn't of been two weeks old. He could hardly walk. It is very rare to see them so young becuase they hold their pregnacys for two years and are very protective of their young ones. For example, this was a group of probably 30 elephant. They are hoovered aroudn this little one. I only had a few seconds to get this pic. Another angle. Notice the pink on his ear.
Wilderbeasts. Naturally, Africa has their different seasons. Some people prefer to go the time of year that it is so dry that animals aren't just killing to eat but rather to live. By that I mean, the water is so sparce (water is a territory thing) that animals are fighting to protect their water rights really. The time of year we were there was baby season. A lot of babies are being born for different animals. It was perfect for me. I don't know if I could do all the kill. I'm sure dad would have appreciated it though.
Baby zebra. They are born iwth a blond back as you see here. Their vibrate color comes with time.
Neat to see the elephants bathe. Their was a croc in there swarming and I was so worried for them but aparantly the elephants are the king of the jungle.
Elephants crossing. They always have the right-a-way. Giraffe's and zebras do not on the other hand.
Eye contact... we connected. This was a big pride of lions as well. Maybe 10 or 15. This little guy just stared at me the whole time. Not many others game me the time of day. Looking down on the hippos
Not all of our tents were so nice. This was an amazing canvas setup. It was a really thick bush all around us. The showe was just kind of connected with planks set up to keep us 'somewhat private'. I heard movement of the trees and grass even over the running water. So I knew something was close but it was dark so I couldn't see. And then all I saw was a white tusk no more than 10 feet away from me (I off coarse was towering over the 'shower.') I got out of there so fast.
I didn't realize they had wiskers...
Just a stretch, not a roar.
Reminded me of Helen's cat. They sleep just like that.

These giraffes were kicking trash. They got a lot of their power in fighting with their necks. They would wrap it around and then pull it in. It wasn't the crazyest thing I saw girafees do...try two huge girafees mating. Dad said it was inappropriate for me to take a pic. I did any way.



6 comments:

Silly Lily said...

I'm SO excited and these pictures made me even MORE excited!!!!

Steve and Dayna said...

One word: WOW.

That trip looked UNREAL! How awesome you got to see so much wildlife. Those pics looked like they were pulled out of a National Geographic.

Glad to see pics of the trip we have heard so much about!

Kozlowski Family said...

I love your blog. I'm always drawn in by all of your adventures. The pictures of Africa are amazing! Love ya Marth.

Julianne said...

Unreal. Those photos are beautiful!

Meggera said...

What an experience! The pictures are beautiful, I would love to see all of the pictures you took! You are so lucky to have experienced this, and I am jealous!

Rachel Ricchio said...

your africa pictures are out of this world. you make me want to go to africa!