Saturday, February 28, 2009


Vera Bradley Now & Then...

While it's on my mind, I wanted to write about some evolving thoughts concerning Vera Bradly. You might be thinking, 'random.' But I'm in Texas so I've seen a lot of it this week--which there is something about it that is comforting to see.

Like many girls back home, I had a Vera Bradley fetish in high school. My senior year, a store was closing that was carrying my favorite line at the time. So I was able to buy out almost all the pieces to the particular line--Hope (retired in 2004)--for a good price. I can't even find a good link to the line because it is so old and has since been replaced many times over.

My Hope pattern.

The Hope line was meant to promote breast cancer awareness and research. 10% of the proceeds that come from the Hope line goes towards this foundation. Notice the pink ties above. I can't remember what exactly, but the flower and each color represented something that was written out on the tag. My bags still have the tags on them for this purpose (I tuck them inside).


I think the foundation was really clever--inspiring. Patricia Miller and Barbara Bradley Baekgaard, who started Vera Bradley in 1982, lost a close friend to breast cancer and started this awareness in 1998. Ever year I think there is one line, of many releases it seems, designed for this awareness.

Anyways...

Ever since I got the Hope line, I've struggled with the new releases. Maybe I was just defensive about mine. There have been some that I've liked but none that I adore... until this week.

There is a new line called the "Garden Hope." It just so happens to be a part of the awareness program as well. I absolutely love the print. It's a beautiful colored floral. Whether in or out, I'll always love the colorful floral prints.


This is the backpack of this new release I love. I'm on a big backpack kick right now that I'll probably have to speak to another day.

Like I said above, I've had a love and interest for Vera for a long time. I'm not obsessed by any means. It's not a 'must have' or a 'must look' for me. It just interests me and catches my eye every time I see it--intriguing.


Also in high school, I was on a vintage kick. I spent hours researching the oldest Vera and for months would try to find old patterns on ebay.

The one vintage piece I walked away with was the Bluebird backpack purse retired in 2000. (Now that I think about it, that's not really vintage.) If you're at all interested. Take a look at some of the lines retired from 1986 to the present.



Putting faces with the names... These ladies started Vera Bradly.


2 comments:

Mary Martha said...

someone needs to write about this post. it's awesome huh? I've reread it three times already.

Anonymous said...

i
I LOVE this post!!! I love Vera Bradley because of the colar. It does remind me of you and of Charlotte Mintz too! And your highschool years! I so enjoy all your blogs. Keep it up. Helen uses her Vera B. diaper bag every day and washes it alot also. It still looks great. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox MOM