Sunday, March 29, 2009

The Perfect Pattern...

3. I couldn't be more in love with my silver--Stratsbourg Gorham. It's a beautiful collection. I just stare at it...



Being in Utah, I've learned silver is a total southern things... It's not respected by all. However, those that do, highly cherish it--especially their patterns.

I choose my pattern right before I got married. My mom, sister, and I all have different patterns. But my grandmother and I have the same. It looks as if the stem is scalloped around the edges. Rather than having an intricate pattern on the bottom the the stem; it's flat. My grandmother has an 'A' engraven at the bottom of all her stems. One of these days, I'll put a 'C' on ours.

Silver tradtions date back to long before the civil war. In fact, many ladies burried their silver in the civil war to ensure it wouldn't get stollen during all the caos. They retreived it after the war.

Unfortunaltly, today many don't respect their elder's silver. There is a lot of second hand buying of silver from families who would rather have the money.

About 7 years ago, Elder Burton gave a story in General Conferance about his wife... This story has since been published in a cute book that is called "Eternal Marriage...and the parable of the silverware."

Elder Burton and his wife were poor students when they got married. However, when they registered for their wedding they only registered for silver. It was something they really wanted. They didn't get any funny enough. It was something that had to save up for to gather their collection.


Once they had their silver, they had to tend to it in a timely and appopriate way--hand wash/dry. They would polish it all the time--hide it under the bed to keep it safe. Stories were given of how they highly esteemed their silver.


Elder Burton often thought his wife was ' a bit eccentric' but with time he began to understand that "If you want something to last forever, you treat it differently."


"You shield it and protect it. You never abuse it. You don't expose it to the elements. You don't make it common or ordinary. If it ever becomes tarnished, you lovingly polish it until it gleams like new. It becomes special because you have made it so, and it grows more beautiful and precious as time goes by. Eternal marriage is just like that. We need to treat it just that way."




1 comment:

Steve and Dayna said...

Well said with the whole analogy to eternal marriage. I liked that. Your silver looks beautiful by the way- wish I could click on it to get a better look- but I am sure its lovely. That's really nice too that you have the same one as your grandmother- makes it a little more sentimental.