Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The only constant with my work travel ...

is the heartache of missing my husband. Without fail, I go through that longing of "Why?" and "What am I doing?" I just want to be with my husband.

But then I plunge through and remind myself that I indeed love my job and this is just what I'm supposed to be doing right now. Plus, I'm really grateful to be employed at this time. I appreciate the adventure.

I couldn't fall asleep last night. I was missing my husband so much. But I didn't want to be any more needy than I had already been today. I knew my husband was at the movie with an old mission companion but I was just wishing he could talk me to sleep like he does when he can when I go on the road.

So I sent him a text: "Having trouble falling asleep. Just wanted to tell u that I love you. xo"

Without lag time he wrote back: "Thanks sweetie. Do you need a bedtime story?"

"Yeah..."

So willingly, he stepped out of the movie and told me a mission story of him and this companion that I hadn't heard before.

That did it; it didn't take me long to fall asleep.

*Which again flooded back memories of when we dated.

Andrew used to tuck me in when we were dating. Without fail, he'd always talk me to sleep. I wish you could get an image of my room's set up. But I was highly elevated on a very tall bed (I had it on multiple blocks to store more containers/space underneath. I even had trouble getting into my bed). And then Drew would lay on the floor below close to the door where he could quietly slip out after telling a story.

Very rarely would I be able to stay awake for the full story. Drew would have to ask me the next day what the last detail was that I remembered. He was always shocked with how little I caught.

Drew would let me choose--mission, childhood, high school, family, sports... And his story telling would precede from there.

This might be silly stretch so bare with me. But I was thinking today how one of the very things I love about my husband is how truly sweet and kind he is at HEART. This is is such a silly correlation but I'm just going to say it because it's been on my mind... in Shrek, the sun would go down and he'd turn to an Ogre right? Well, Drew has a magical enhancement feature going on when the sun goes down too... His heart enlarges to the point of exploding and is he's thoughtful and concerned about me. Kind of like John Mayer's song, "Cause I'll never let your head hit the bed without my hand behind it."

I might of taken that thought a bit extreme but for a simple example... Some people wake up in the middle of their sleep a bit harder than others. Aparently, I scream out for no reason at times. Imagine that. Drew on the other hand, will ask if he can get me water or if I'm hot or cold? It's the sweetest thing. I'll be going the bathroom and cranky that my zzzz's are interrupted and Drew offers to get or do something for me.

I adore my husband so much. I think about him so much when I'm on the road. It's a healthy absence becuase I reflect and cherish the good and recommit myself to not take it for granted.

Goodnight!




6 comments:

Pierce and Stacy said...

I really liked that post. Thank you. I think we all need to be reminded of how much we love our husbands and families.

Just the other night, our little fan fell to the ground in the middle of the night and it was really loud. Pierce instinctively grabbed me, brushed his hands all over me to make sure nothing was broken or hurting and then held me so tight. I was laughing and he was totally serious. I love him!

Thanks for your post. And what's your email so I can help you jazz up your blog???

Chance and Angela Olson said...

adorable! He's great to you! =)

Rachel Ricchio said...

you have a dream of a husband, you know that?!

Suzie and Chadd said...

I love it! It's so nice to know that your best friends are so happy and in love...we all fantasized of our dream men together when we were little and amazing enough we all ended up with our perfect matches!! Thank you Andrew for treating Mary so well...she deserves it!

Andrew said...

Mary far surpasses me in the spouse department. She just likes to make me look good. Thanks babe, your amazing with how hard you work (and how good you look doing it). Love you.

Andrew

Steve and Dayna said...

I absolutely loved that post and the sincere things you had to say about Andrew. I couldn't get over how sweet he is to tell you bedtime stories to help you fall asleep- and the loving way he takes care of you. You both are very lucky to have each other. Love it!