Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Southern Hospitality...

denotes my grandmother perfectly. As I said before, this last weekend I had the opportunity to go home. I took full advantage even though my immediate family was off elsewhere.

My dear grandmother, Mommee, insisted I stay with her. She has been a widow for a few years now so I was more than glad to do so. Little did I know I was in for a grand treat.She took me to dinner at a popular place on the river. When I returned to sleep, she had a fresh Magnolia cut for me and my bed turned down. As you might know, once Magnolias are cut they turn brown in less than 12 hours. She had a fresh one cut for me both nights. I woke up to breakfast on a tray. & every meal was so nicely done.



My grandparents have lived in the same house for over 55 years. I'm convinced my grandmother has the best looking Magnolia tree in town--which says a lot. 55 years ago this was a 'house warming gift." It was a small stub of a tree. & look at it now. Made me think twice how special house warming gifts can be.

The view of the bayou from my grandmother's guest room. It's always so good to be back home


6 comments:

Rachel Ricchio said...

i love that southern hospitality. i love the fact that your grandma takes such pride in her guests. i love you.

Silly Lily said...

Your grandma is the sweetest! I need to come out to Louisiana again, it's such a great place!

whitney said...

I always loved listening to stories you would tell about your grandma. miss you

Mary said...

I love fresh cut magnolias. I "stole" some from the park down the street one night! What a neat story about the tree!

Lisa said...

Louisiana baby!

www.livinlouisiana.blogspot.com

Dayna said...

I can't wait to meet your grandma sometime! That sounds like such a needed weekend for you while you work and are away from Andrew. I can't wait to spend time with you