Sunday, July 19, 2009

The Baker Hotel...

I was working in Dallas and some accompanying areas this week which brought me through small town Mineral Wells--just a couple of lights. It's all relative to my home town right? This place was extremely small in compariosn.

So I had to do some research. I was intrigued at what I found out.

There used to be a buzz about Mineral Wells's water. Hence the name. But all over the world it was know for revitalizing and enriching beauty to help people stay young. Kind of how we understand Botox today--

So this hotel was completed in 1929. My first question was how it stood through the Depression. The ultra wealthy of Europe and people came from all over to partake of this mineral pool--the second hotel ever to even have a pool. I read about numerous people who visited. Some included--President Johnson, Reagan, Marlyn Monroe, Helen Keller, Lady Bird.

So the Baker Hotel took a dive in the late 50's when the government came out and said the water was declared feaux--that the water didn't do much for you. The hotel stayed open through part of the 60's.

Today it is all boarded up. There have been a few owners since that have removed all the marble and chandeliers and so forth. The only thing I can compare it to is the size of the Grand American in Salt Lake and the freakness look of the Tower of Terror.

It's just hard to beleive that this little town was thriving like it was back in the day as a place where people came from all over. And it's too bad it can't be rennovated. There is so much abestos in there it would take 20 million plus they said just to remove that aspect. It is considered hunted too. The owner had a mistress that jumped from the 17th floor becuase of all the distress that came of it. Aparently, she still lingers. I image the local high school kids test the waters with that one. After all, there isn't much else there.

This is what I saw...

& this is how it used to look...


Neat huh?


3 comments:

Stacy said...

That's really neat that you looked into that and learned all the history. Amazing all the people that went to that hotel and that it is still standing. I'm sad you weren't in Arlington. You should have visited my family while you were in Dallas.

ashleymm said...

so I live in Dallas and so wish I would have known you were here! Its been a while girl!!

Ana Lee said...

That is so neat! You get to see so many cool things. I hope things are going well for you!