Thursday, May 6, 2010

Mexican pottery and Ken Edwards...

Mexico has some of the most beautiful, colorful hand-painted pottery.

Photobucket

I love these hand painted sink bowls. I talked one guy down to $45.00. I have absolutly no place to put it and couldn't begin to bring it home, but I love colorful sinks. This was one of my Mexican loves.

These plates were so beautiful! The collection had a variety of color--very thick plate. Each one was hand signed by the artist.


I feel in love with Ken Edwards pottery (as seen below). I've done quite a bit of research since on his work. Although he was born in America, he has done most of his painting while living in Mexico and now Guatemala. I couldn't get my mind around it all even though I loved it. Now that I've done more research online, the prices there were so much better. Many love to collect his work. I think his pieces are so incredible because they seem so practical, functional, and intricate.

He makes his stonewear out of a mysterious dirt--no one seems to know where he gets it. He does raised impressions that give the painting some demension. It whimsical and beautiful I think. Every piece is made and painted by hand.

How cute would this be for dense hot chocolate shots. I was thinking of my sister-in-laws recipie that is so good. Notice how the steamer of the tea pot is tilted back a bit too. That is one of his functional characteristics to where someone doesn't burn their hand while pouring.


All these cute vases fit for the platter. Amazing!




9 comments:

jewil@frontiernet.net said...

I have collected KE pottery for years from the cold reaches of northern NY but never seen the accumulated collections you showed in your photos. Where is this magical place?

Anonymous said...

I too would like to know where I can replace pieces that have been broken or damaged in my home. If there is a location in Tonala, I can purchase from there. Please someone, say something!

JRINGEL said...

does anyone know where I could post a piece of Ken Edwards pottery I found, Hoping someone can tell me anything about it. I am a new fan.

Anonymous said...

For all your KE needs, go to galeriacolibri.blogspot.com
We have been working with KE and selling their work for 12 years.

Anonymous said...

Del Sol Stores (www.delstores.com) located in Tucson, Mesilla, NM, and for awhile yet at El Paso Airport have wonderful Ken Edwards pieces. I started my collection in 1989 while shopping at the warehouse in Tonala!!! Uh, prices have changed since then.

Anonymous said...

My wife and I traveled a great deal in the Southwest and found a great deal of KE's pottery. The "Collection" series is becoming harder to find. Del Sol still has a bit for sale.

Anonymous said...

Www.delsolstores.com has the best selection online of Ken Edwards. They guarantee their shipping so you can be sure you get your pottery unbroken. I also have bought at their stores in Tularosa, NM and Mesilla, NM. They have a store near downtown Tucson too. They are great to deal with and have always been good to me.

leelee espisol said...

hi!, i have some pieces of Ken Edwards on sale! my facebook is Ana Cynthias Gifts
or send me a e mail anacynthiaslaredo@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

ccould anyone tell me the date of my ken edwards penguin figure,kind regards yvonne