Thursday, May 13, 2010

The Greenbrier...


Photobucket




Does anyone else follow the Jetsetter.com deal for getaways? I enjoy seeing what pops up. Maybe when I don’t have an office job I won’t take the time to look at it. But it’s been fun to see all the beautiful places all over the world. A Memorial Day weekend sale was very familiar...

My Mommee and Poppa took our family to the Greenbrier when we were younger. Later when my Grandpa passed away, we went back with my Mommee. It is such a beautiful place located in West Virginia. You can now tour the Cold War Bunker that is located underground beneath the resort. It was intended to house some of the US government in case of a nuclear attack but was disclosed by a spy who figured it out. It was later released to the public to tour. It is amazing how such a small entrance way leads it to such an amazing world underground. I couldn’t believe it. The location makes sense though, below a huge resort but out in the middle of nowhere (at least it seemed to me).


The Greenbrier looks like the White House on the outside with beautiful American flags flying out front. The décor though of the rooms is what I remember and loved the most. Every room is different with colorful and most often floral wallpaper-- its Gilded Age décor. Tea Time with ligh piano playing in the background is one of my favourite things. There are so many activies and recreation on the property.

The main building has a series of huge ball rooms, one leading to the next. My family would choose a different room every night to do a family night spiritual thought in. But each room is a different colour with a completely different feel. The staff is so gracious and hospitable. There is an unlimited supply of berries and fresh fruit in one of the breakfast rooms. Explore the different rooms here.






Not this pink room but the minty green one you see is where we took our family pic both times we were there. Same place, same backdrop but we were about 10 years older.


3 comments:

Crystal said...

Beautiful! I will have to go next time I am home and take a picture in that same green room ;)

Rachel Ricchio said...

i thought i recognized that green room! i've always loved that family portrait of you guys!

Bekah Parker said...

I am not sure how I stumbled upon your blog but I wanted to drop in and say hi. I'm not sure if you remember me but I was roommates with Haley. You look like you guys are doing great!!! Where are you living?