Wednesday, June 9, 2010

What are the odds in Romania?

Before Andrew starts his internship, we decided on some travel a bit before he starts. We might as well while we can. It worked perfect to stop in London and scope out the housing situation.

To make a long story semi-short. My friend Jared, whose office was across from mine at work, told me about his brother-in-law who got a mission call to Romania. I informed him about my travel plans and jokingly said if we run into him we will take him to dinner. I casually asked him when I stopped by the office on my way to the airport which city he was in. He named some town 3 hours south of Bucharest. There was no chance to see him considering I was only going to be in Bucharest for a couple days on our excursion headed to west Europe.

So Andrew and I were having dinner in our hotel and I excused myself for the 'toilet' as they call it here. I was going down the stairs and without seeing the name tags, I recognized the white shirts and back pack from behind. I said, "missionaries?" but somewhat under my breath cause I wasn't sure.

They were relieved to see an American who knows good English (Romania isn't a tourist trap by any means so they are few and far between). I was asking them about the work here and talking a bit about the influence of the communist country of 20 years ago and how that affects the people's beliefs. I then mentioned that I had a friend of a friend in their mission who was from Utah but I couldn't remember the missionaries name. So I dropped my office buddies name and I realized this was the guy that I had heard so much about! I don't think I'm explaining this good enough. It was a crazy moment for me. I had though 'what if' a couple times over in my head when we got here.

What are the odds that I would run into missionaries in a country of 22 million people? And then see the 1 that is serving 3 hours south but was in Bucharest for 1 days for conferences. Small world!

This all happened last night. We met for dinner tonight. Andrew was able to talk about his mission a bit, and they were able to talk about the different cultures. Romania is 90% Orthodox. It is interesting to learn about the different customs and beliefs.

I love missionary work so much. Andrew's mission has blessed our marriage so much. It's incredible. Yes, my lover is 25 and still in school. But his 2 years mission experience has richly blessed our lives and our little family.

I took plenty pics of Elder Finch to email home to his family. What a great experience for us all.



5 comments:

lyndsey said...

that is hilarious!! such a small world. i'm sure jared was thrilled.

Jared said...

This is awesome! The family is thrilled about it. Thanks Mary and Andrew for taking him out to dinner

Ryan & Jerri Ann Finch Family said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jerri Ann Finch said...

Thank you so much for treating my son (Elder Finch) to dinner and for taking pictures. I really appreaciate it!

Ana Lee said...

What a fun little experience! I hope you two continue to have an amazing time traveling! So excited for you!