Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Les Miserables...

Les Miz is incredible. The music and the message is so inspiring. I had seen it when I was much younger but missed or didn't remember any of the key messages. I'm sure it means different things to different people. It really blew me away...

Photobucket

*Valjean's soliloquy 'What Have I Done?' is so beautiful. After the priest trusted him and immediately forgave him after stealing the silver, Valjean realized what type of person he wanted to be. "He touched my soul and gave me love, he treated him like any other, gave me his trust, he called me brother... instead he offers me my freedom, he told me I have a soul, how does he know, what spirit comes to move my life..." I love this because through our compassion and charity, others can come to feel and know God's love and what to share it as well. I realized too how foolish I am to hold other accountable when I feel wrongly done or misrepresented. How foolish really. Who am I to judge how another was raised or what they have gone through? How great would it be without guile and take no offense to another's weakness.

* The love of Fantine for Cosette got me. She gave everything for her daughter. And then I lost it when she sang, "I Dreamed a Dream." The many dreams of family and love that mean everything to many but yet aren't necessarily fulfilled as one would plan--I pained for those that might sing a similar tune of their life. And then Fantine's last words before dying when she sang this.

* Who am I? "If I speak, I am condemned; If I stay silent I am damed... My soul belongs to God I know, I made that bargain long ago. He gave me hope when hope was gone. He gave me strength to journey on."

I remember my brother speaking so highly of the book when he read it recently. He would text me great quotes from it in fact. After my experience last night, I might have to read it. Isn't it over 1,000 pages? That intimidates me...


& Nick Jonas played Marius. I guess he has been seen leaving with either of his co-stars after the show on different occasions. I think that's funny since the two girls have a little rivalry in the show and he kissed them both on stage. Maybe one of the kisses meant something...


7 comments:

Thomas, Alta, and Krew said...

hey how long are you going to be living in london? We are moving to Newcastle in january for medical school.

Thomas Alta and Krew

Dayna said...

Les MIs is the best broadway ever written! I am so glad that you were able to go! That is a show I can watch every single year and never get sick of it. LOVE IT!

Meggera said...

Mary, this is a show very near and dear to my heart. The music is remarkable, the story life changing! I am so glad you got to experience this classic.

Kellee Marie Cook said...

I LOVED this play when I saw it in london as well. Probably my favorite. I cried many times because it was just so moving. So happy you got to see it. I read the abridged version of Les Mis and it is much less intimidating. Although I am sure you miss a lot of good stuff.

bands said...

The "Castle on a Cloud" song kills me everytime. Les Mis truly was an inspired work of genius!

Danielle said...

Oh my....I am actually currently reading this book. You have to read it.....you can borrow my copy if needs be when you get back. I have enjoyed every second of your blog this summer.

Diana Hulme said...

i've been wanting to comment...how COOL you're living london. seriously, wow. :) i read les miserables last year (the abridged version - still long) and i loved it.