Monday, January 24, 2011

Condoleezza Rice...

Pres. Samuelson and Condoleezza

Condoleezza came and spoke to the university recently. Before I rehash it I must say, I love BYU's weekly devotional/forum. They are amazing. I've been out of school for over 3 years now. And I still think about them most every Tuesday. Although I'm not on campus these days, with an office job I was able to listen to them on the internet radio.
I'm not an eloquent writer, nor do I every proof read what I write on here (have you noticed?) so I'm just going to write some bullets of the things she spoke about. I was really inspired by her message and walked away wanting to learn and hear more. I'm now reading her book about her parents. It's amazing. She grew up in Birmingham at the height of segregation and her parents played and very influential role at that time. She has so much love and admiration for her parents. I'm fascinated with how much credit and how she portrays her life by their influence. She is a product of them. It's neat to explore those roots a bit more.

most of these are quotes from her speech - others paraphrased
  • Today's headlines and history judgement is rarely the same. How we perceive a current event is different from how history will perceive it.
  • Every day after 9/11 was 9/12.
  • The al Qaeda only has be right once. We have to be right 100% of the time.
  • She talked about the 'Chauchescu moment.' He was the dictator of Romania who was executed by his own people. He was terrible man that really oppressed his people for power. This was fascinating to me because Andrew and I learned a lot about him in Romania this summer. I don't remember learning about him prior.
  • China is a rigid government afraid of its own shadow. They are so terrified of the internet that they hack constantly to find civil rights moments. Do you think this people is able to lead the knowledge revolution? no...
  • Transforming power and education that transforms family for generations.
  • Doesn't matter where you come from but where you are going. She talked about her Grandpa, John Westly Rice who as a sharecropper saved up funds to get a year of education and then found a way to get a scholarship like the white people around him. She talked about how America is set up that it doesn't matter your zip code--all can get an education. If her Grandpa did when every odd and even the system was set up to work against him; we sure can.
  • This generation is carrying history's judgement forward.
  • Find out what you are passionate about. Try something hard. It is more fulfilling to accomplish something hard than succeeding in something easy.
  • Agrevement- why don't I have more? This is the brother attitude to entitlement.
  • You might not be able to control your circumstance, but you can control your reaction to your circumstance.
  • Hold up to cynicism. View the world not as it is but what it should be.
  • Education is broad not narrow. Kids need the arts which are apart of the total being; they're not extracurricular.


1 comment:

Rachel Ricchio said...

she came to brigham???? OMG i would have loved to have listened to her. she's amazing!!! so interesting that she was never married, but she's an AMAZING woman.