Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Hati, one year later...

It's hard to believe Haiti's tragedy took place a year ago today. What a catastrophic event that has killed so many innocent lives and left a country completely depressed. I've been reading some follow up articles that put disappointments, life, and trials into perspective quickly.
Over a million Haitians are still living in tents and less than 10% of the debris has been cleared. On top of this, the cholera epidemic has killed thousands. I feel so helpless in moments like these. The natural tendency is to distant ourself from this sadness because we aren't directly influenced nor closely involved.
Many have generously donated totaling over 6 billion dollars. But donor's fatigue sets in around this time and the bulk of the recovery efforts and volunteer work done on such a disaster clearly takes place within the first year. And Haiti has far from recovered.
It passes my understanding how we live in such a fortunate country while others suffer like they do in extreme poverty and sickness. Moments like these remind me I have a lot to be grateful for, yet a lot in the world around me to be sad about. This state motivates a charge in me to be something more outside of myself and serve, assist, elevate, and if nothing else, just be full of charity even at the hardest of times. I know I'm a little late in the month doing so, but it's time I set some goals.


1 comment:

Martha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.