Monday, March 28, 2011

Mark Zuckerberg...

BYU seems to get the most amazing speakers for devotional and forums. Senator Orrin Hatch and MZ did a friendly Q&A for over 15,000+ people last week. Mark said it was his first time speaking in front of a stadium full of people, and I guess his first college appearance. Go BYU! He was far more witty and personable than I imagined. 

 Since the focus of the meeting was on technology, Hatch didn't really get into the good stuff . I was hoping he'd clarify some misunderstandings about the movie. I was amazed to hear that a company that services over 500 million people is operated by 2,000 employees. & this was my first time hearing that the government wants to tax the internet. MZ is all about small government.  Hatch inquired some specifics about education and MZ reminded him he was a college dropout and might not have the best answers. He was far from arrogant. I would go so far to say he was rather humble in fact.  He encouraged entrepreneur minds to pursue what you are passionate about and to not just look for a niche that could make you the next billionaire. I thought that was neat. He said that passion about the pursuit must come first. 


Heath/Tay saved seats a few hours prior so we were able to just walk on in and enjoy. Thanks to them. & for the pics too.


I wonder if MZ knows who Jimmer is? Surely...


2 comments:

Pierce + Stacy Thiot said...

I'm sad I missed it. Pierce went and told me to watch at home and I completely forgot in the middle of all my work. ARG! That's awesome you went and the pics are great!

mason and ashley schmutz said...

he better know #32! it was so good to see you in utah! sorry sledding never came together! maybe next time!