Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Everglade City...

Everglade City is a small town, population <500,  that is essentially the gateway to the 10,000 islands that make up the Everglades. They are essentially marsh lands, swamps, and some open waters off the Florida coast. They're about an hour from where my grandparents live so my mom and I went one day before everyone else got in town. 

 
 We had quite the experience on our water-boat tour. I've always been very defensive about the stereotype Waterboy gives to the south. I can't tell you how many time I've said that people don't really ride waterboats to school. But after this experience, I think in some areas they do. The school is located right on the water. And some families have their own little island (not even close to as glamorous as it might sound). 
When I told the owner of the waterboat company that I was Louisiana, he said the following in the most hick accent and very broken English. "When Katrina happened, I trailered up my waterboats and packed 1,000 gallons of gas. I headed to New Orleans are started freeing people from their homes. They call me a hero there. Here, I'm a felon."









I loved the sinage...





3 comments:

Sara Jayne and Tyler Baldwin said...

Haha that picture of you with the alligator is priceless! Love it.

Kellee Marie Cook said...

I agree with Sara Jayne- the alligator pic is awesome! also the one with the water and all the trees on each side.. so cool!

ashley schmutz said...

WHAT? that is amazing! everything about this post!