Thursday, September 22, 2011

Ground Zero & 9/11

With the bomb threats prior to 9.11, I was a little freaked out. It wasn't until later that evening that I ventured out to that area. I'm glad I did. We all remember where we were 10 years prior. It's hard to believe that much time has passed. It's such a fresh memory, and I'm sure for many families, a somewhat fresh wound. 
I have so much respect and admiration for the variety of first time responders that didn't shy away from the tragedy.  I can't walk past a fire station in the city without noticing a plaque for honorable firefighters who lost lives in that particular company. Fire stations in NYC are so iconic. As of 10 years, I have a hard time believing they go unnoticed.  
The new Freedom Tower has a long ways to go. It was neat to see it lite up in red, white, and blue.
White ribbons were tied all around St. Paul's fence. Messages were written on the ribbon in honor of the victims. The red stump was found following 9.11. Although the huge tree fell, the tomb stones outside St. Paul's as well as the church were unharmed. Someone thought to preserve the stump in the original shape of how it was found. Beautiful.
The banner below listed the victims names. Loved ones circled their name and wrote personalized messages. 


The pic on the left is the view of the empire state building from outside our building. Wish I would have thought to carry my actual camera with me this outing. Loved the patriotic colors all around the city on such a special day.


Amanda and Whitney both live within a few blocks walk of ground zero. 


These men are from the German military. Various countries sent representatives to show us their support. 



1 comment:

ashley schmutz said...

look how beautiful you girls are!