Tuesday, September 13, 2011

US Open 2011...

Andrew wanted to get US Open tix for my bday. But with the two day rain delay, it was very tricky. The venue wouldn't give any refunds to anyone's tickets. So at best you could try to exchange your ticket for another day. But for the most part you were just reallocated for another day. We ended up seeing the men's quarterfinals which was awesome. It ended up being an afternoon session when it was originally 3 days prior at night. So as you can see the stadium is somewhat empty. Although, it was 'sold out' due to the reallocated tickets. People with work obviously couldn't go. Messy system if you as me. Darn rain. Drew couldn't go with his job ,but his mom Deb and I went. 

Andy Murray vs. John Isner 

How we got tickets... 
Deb drove an hour from CT to the stadium, and I took the subway to Queens. It wasn't until we got to the stadium that we realized we didn't actually have tickets. For what ever reason, the card was actually never charged and/or we had no confirmation. We weren't going to get anywhere with it either as there were thousands waiting outside the stadium trying to use their prior tickets that were on a day which rained out. We weren't that upset, just a little bummed that we were just going to turn around and drive home. 
Long story short, a family contact who was an old work friend, came and plucked us out of the line and gave us two extra tickets. Free! & we were placed in Andy Roddick's guest suite. It was a hot day so it was very nice to step into the AC at times too and drink ample diet cokes. Yes, I've turned over a new leaf to ample diet cokes. 


When my brother was 14 (now 28) he actually played against Isner in a regional USTA tennis tourni. 

Michelle Obama was sitting close by. She's in the orange. Her two daughter are to the right in the blue and mustard shirt with the holes. Not a great look if you as me. Especially the sports bra/undershirt. 


While I'm being critical, the first lady sat there with her legs spread-eagle. On a positive note, her up-due was amazing. Take another look at the mustard shirt. And if you look close enough, you'll see her daughter has on red zebra leggins.


Isner twice the size of the ball boy. 



Murray won. His post interview. 


Of course, I rooted for Roddick as an American, but I was pleased with a Nadal win too. I like Nadal a lot. He's not a complainer and has such a competitive way about him; opposite of Djokovic's demeanor and body language on the court that I can't stand. 


Classic Nadal... If I was him I'd work on getting a new nervous tick. He does this in between each point without fail. 



  

Roddick's parents were sitting one row in front of us. I was convinced it had to be his parents cause Andy has her eyes and the dad's nose. Google images confirmed it. I was impressed with how even keel they were. Occasionally, the mom would yell  come on, big boy. Should I be ashamed I snuck this pic?


Sorry, Andrew. I had to take a pic at Nadal's wedgie. 



6 comments:

Sean and Summer said...

love everything about this post. have i mentioned how much I love your writing? I do!

Kyle & Mekelle said...

this is awesome! and i can't believe michelle obama. not classy.

Diana Hulme said...

How fun!! You had such great seats...I love all the pictures. :)

Lindsey S. said...

Oh, I was watching this with my parents at there house. I had no idea you were there. So fun!

b said...

oh my gosh- sounds like so much fun! Miss YOU! laughing so hard at the Michelle Obama picture....
-Ang

Dayna said...

Thank you for your nice comment! Speaking of pinterest... I just joined. I've been wanting to join for forever but was so busy and knew if I started I'd get hooked..

I just read your last post and was laughing so hard at all the pictures and comments. And why are her daughters wearing shirts with holes in them?

My favorite by far, is the wedgie shot at the very end. Only because I would totally take a picture of that too.

I miss you a lot. When will you be in Utah next?