Sunday, February 26, 2012

I had a C...

That seems to be our letter..."C". As in Cylde & Charles & Cesarian.  *Uh-oh*
That was pretty much my reaction too when I realized it was inevitable. Hindsight, it was the best thing for my babies, but I'd like to explain a bit for documentation purposes. Because my boys were mono-di twins, they shared a placenta and extracted from the same nutritional/blood supply. I was told 4 out of 5 twins who have this placenta experience 'growth disparity' prior to 32 weeks resulting in many times an early delivery. Hence the reason I went to the Dr. on average once but later in the pregnancy twice a week for an ultrasound. After 32 weeks, statistically the chances of one of the babies cutting off the blood supply of the other baby goes up. Devastating thought. TMI? Sorry. So at 35 weeks, my Dr. said this was a success and suggested we not run our risks. I was so nervous at what I might be doing to our boys by consenting to pre-term labor. But I highly revere and love my doctor (thats what weekly appointments and 1,000 questions later will do). 

So 35 weeks was it. Success not by many's standards but for my little mono-di's, as we call it, it was. But I still thought I'd have a fair shot at a 'non-cesarian.' But unlike most twin situations at 35 weeks, my cervix was completely tight and I wasn't even close to dilating. But then again, this was the very thing I had been praying for all along to avoid bed rest. Funny how in one appointment that desire changed.  So... inducing labor would ask my body to go from 1 to 100 in a limited window of time. I wasn't even effaced (whatever that means). So a C it was. 


This is right before heading into the hospital. Vainish, maybe... But I don't think I've ever felt so beautiful as I did that morning walking into the hospital. Wearing little ones will do that to you. I did feel a little deprived with an early delivery and by never experiencing labor pains. But that's silly I know. 

A scheduled delivery was much like my wedding day--so much anticipation and preparation for the moment. There are so many things that need to be done 'one last time.' So many tender moments leading up to the big day. 

My Dr. on the right. I love him so much. Amazing!
& fav. nurse on left. 

Before heading in...


Best moment ever. Andrew was given Charles who then placed him on my chest. 


Such a sad face sticking out his bottom lip. His dad has that one mastered too.


This moment (below) didn't last long enough.  I couldn't focus  on one. I kept looking left, right, left, right. After  a minute they suggested Daddy hold them. Great idea until they wisked them away for monitoring. I never thought I'd say this but the surgery went way too fast. Andrew talking/singing right in my ear the whole time had the most calming affect on me. I wasn't chill though. 


Favorite pic from the hospital (below).


More later


7 comments:

Pierce + Stacy Thiot said...

Oh my... that picture of you crying started to make me cry. So sweet! I'm glad everything went okay! And NOT vain at all, you look beautiful in that first picture, seriously. They are precious and you are one lucky gal!

Heather and Taylor said...

I love that you are rocking your MZ Wallace. Love you and love those boys more than words. I'm counting down the days until I get to smoother those boys with love. xo

Whitney Elizabeth said...

You and Andrew are amazing! I am bawling reading this. Those boys are beyond perfect. From the sweet peach fuzz on their face to their tiny toes, I just adore these boys. And how lucky they are to have you guys as parents. Love you all!

Pierce + Stacy Thiot said...

And I just now noticed.... but I love that they wrote A and B on the babies' blankets. :)

Katie and Cam said...

Even though you know its best for your baby/babies, it's always hard to come to terms with having a c-section! I totally understand. You have such a beautiful family!

Jenna{Mommy in Manhattan} said...

These pictures are priceless! Family of 4!!! So happy for you guys! It must have been the best feeling in the world to see their little faces and have them put on your chest! Amazing to see all these pictures! I'm dying to see them! Their skin is so gorgeous!

I'm going to look up that article. I have rally enjoyed the product! Thanks for the tips!

TAMMY CLARIDGE said...

Love the story behind deliveries... as that is my passion! And loved yours. It was perfect in every way. And I know all about the mono twins thing... we have had several pregnant women stay in the hospital for weeks to monitor them before delivery. I became great friends with them. So glad everything went so well. You are so blessed.