Saturday, November 10, 2012

NYC Marathon: To run or to not run...

Andrew's sister, Katie, was 1 of 45,000 trained and ready to run in the NYC marathon just to learn 36 hours prior that it was cancelled. When I heard about my friends/evacuees from lower Manhattan whose hotel stay was cut short due to marathon reservations, I'll admit I was a bit perturbed that Bloomberg had announced it was still going forward. Another friend told me the only hotel she could find was a 1.5 star in Brooklyn for $300. That's thievery. 

But then I went to the running expo where Katie picked up her bib#. I was amazed with the diversity of the runners who had come from all over the world to run. I met up with my bf's uncle from North Carolina who was filling a life-long dream.  Later that day, Bloomberg announced it was cancelled. Having experienced a glimpse from the runners side, I was even more bothered. It seems the outspoken crowd got their way. I feel terrible for those in Staten Island and Jersey who lost their homes. It was explained to me though that this race brings in a lot of charity dollars to help support the various causes. Also, the race is executed mostly by volunteers. I'm guessing it takes just as many NYPD workers to run the Giants football game (that same weekend) as it does the race. That is only my observation though. Sounds like a loose-loose situation on both sides. I feel terrible for everyone involved. Too bad it couldn't of been a unifying event highlighting a Run for Sandy type mentality. 

Katie holding the twins on her red carpet event...

  



The Javits Convention Center on the West side is where the expo was held. I enjoyed the walk through Hell's Kitchen to get there. I need to do some more exploring in that area. 


Livestrong minus Lance Armstrong--one of the many booths catering to the running crowd. 
I thought his running times that were erased from the previous NYC marathons was a bit excessive.


Later that night Andrew and I took a stroll with the twins through a small portion of the run. I noticed the crew setting up weeks prior. The security guards said they were setting up around the clock and when it was announced to be cancelled, they immediately started the tear down. Sad thought...


The Fred Lebow statue placed at the finish line, who was the cofounder of this event. He is usually located at about 90th on the East side of the park and to my surprise most always has flowers at his feet. Legend...




2 comments:

Lizzie said...

This was such a blunder. When it was cancelled last min I really ached for those runners. And of course I ache for those who lost their homes. Sad all around.

April said...

I was just perusing the mommy in manhattan blog when I saw a picture of you. I thought, wait a second, I know this girl. I met you (briefly) at book club at Katie's home in October. anyways, cool to find your blog. such cute twins!