Tuesday, December 25, 2012

NYC Christmas Window walk....

The window displays in the major department stores are incredible. It's hardly about the apparel, but mainly for entertainment contributing largely to the Christmas atmosphere in New York. Some department stores have a launch party revealing their eye-candy. Last year, I wasn't in the position to window walk waddle. I feared pre-term labor. So here's to 2012's window walk. I think window stroll, double wide,  probably fits my experience best.   Although Andrew and I planned on heading out one night when the twins were asleep with a sitter, but with his work and other Christmas parties, it was best for me to go with the twins in the daytime instead. Here was my route with the twins...

Bergdorf Goodman
Barneys
Bloomingdales
Saks Fifth Ave. 
Lord & Taylor
Macey's

 

Across from Bergdorf is the iconic Plaza with a pileup of Christmas trees in the circle center filling what is a fountain in the summer time. 

1. Bergdorf Goodman

 

 

Bergdorf's display are most ornate and certainly extravagant. More so than any others, I want to live in the display and be the manikin for just a moment.  The mirrors/sequins display was my favorite. Loved the art-deco theatre window too.  I'm wishing I had my actual camera and didn't just take with my phone now as I do this post. 

2. Barney's


Some people were so upset with Barney's Electric Holiday release of "Skinny Minnie" on runway. Heavens forbid if we distort a disney character making her a worldy tall and skinny one. I thought it was brilliant. I wasn't able to stick around for the entire digital showing because the twins got antsy. They prefer to be on the go, wheels up. But I loved what I saw. Although I've walked by many times, I don't know that I've ever been in this department store come to think of it. 


3. Bloomingdales



I failed to take many pics at Bloomies. Opps. I was tuckered out after seeing Santa on the 8th floor. Their theme catered to Cirque du Soleil which was really neat. They had some opportunities for the onlookers to be in a pic that re-displayed in the window with you in it. I actually thought about doing it but too many people hovering. 

Then headed over to 5th Ave where there was plenty to see...   


Eye-level with snow-flake on 57th from 3rd floor of Tiffany's.

  
 
 

  


4. Saks 5th Ave...

So I don't actually have any pics of Sak's window display. The snowflake lightshow on the facade of the building is a sight. I was keeping pace as I walked by the actual windows. but there seemed to be more to the snowflake theme.

5. Lord & Taylor.... 

 

The smaller window displays on the side of the building resembled snow globes where it seemed like you had to look closely to see the magic inside. 
The big window displays along the front of the building, as seen below, represented various strong Christmas traditions around the world such as a snow-covered Central Park as well as bright red lanterns in Asia and another in Germany. 


This was Lord & Taylor's 75th year of special holiday window displays. 



Loved this panorama of the main floor there in the store. 


This Santa get-up might rival walking/pushing the twins by the window displays.  


1 comment:

Hilary B said...

WOW! Those windows are all amazing! I need to venture down to NYC...it makes me so nervous though. I don't even know where to start or how to get around. So sad, we have lived 2 hours away for almost a year and I've only been there once {for 3 hours}. I need to go! Maybe if I"m brave I'll go by myself since my husband's gone all the time, haha!