Thursday, May 23, 2013

The Charm of Charleston...


Pecans. Pralines. Done


Fresh Fudge, I die. NYC doesn't know such a thing.


Fresh off the oven. I might of brought 5 lbs home. 


College of Charleston


Can you imagine your university being so beautiful you take bridals on campus?


So great seeing my lifelong/childhood friend, Will, from Monroe who went to Coll. of Char. after highschool. He took us to a delicious dinner spot and pointed out quite a few things for us. Thank you, Will!


Charleston's good looking bridge. We wanted to bike across but ran out of time.


We ate well in Charleston. Lots of great food. Yet, this was clearly our favorite. Loved it so much, I took a picture of the food, the second time around we went there. Their fried green tomatoes are the best I've ever had. Andrew said the same about their fried chicken, and he knows his fried chicken.

 

I didn't think much of the basket weaving that we saw taking place throughout Charleston until we learned what it was about... the sweetgrass hand-made basket-weaving has been taking place in the low-country for over 400 years. It's a traditional art that was brought from West African slaves and has been passed down from generation to generation. It was the perfect gift to bring home to mom after watching the twiners for four days. We got a smaller piece from this lady above who worked 2 full days weaving the basket/top thing we got for mom. I initially thought the price was high and wanted to talk her down a bit. I didn't dare when I learned how labor intensive these things are.



No comments: